Friday, October 30, 2009

Building a better box

I think it would be really fun to build my own drum sequencer.  I lack a lot of the skills to do so, but it looks like there are enough oem kits around where I should be able to hack something together.  If I'm ever going to get this done, I'll need to setup a timeline and phases, and then commit to it.  

Components
Obviously, the sequencer will be made up of the following pieces:
HW - Hardware (cpu, mobo, peripherals, interfaces, etc)
OS - Operating System
SW - Drivers, Sequencer

Phases
I see each component having two phases:
RAP - Rapid Prototyping
PRD - Production Implementation

Cycle
Each phase will have the following cycles:
OEM DSGN - COTS / OEM Selection
OEM ORDR - COTS / OEM Acquisition
OEM INTG - COTS / OEM Integration
DIY DSGN - DIY Designs
DIY BUILD  - DIY part acquisition / component build
DIY IMPL - DIY Design implementation
SYS INTG - Component Integration
 
Why the schedule formality?
Obviously, the benefits of a hobby project is jumping around and breaking schedule.  However, I know if I don't set targets,  I'll never get velocity.  I've done a lot of hobby projects before, and things work best when velocity is reached.  I've done more complicated ones, and they required 100% DIY pieces--they never got finished.  i've got to be realistic, and retrospective as time goes on.

Rapid Prototype Phase Goals
I've got to avoid the traps of past efforts--I need to leverage as much as existing, COTS/OEM/libs as possible.  The rapid prototype phase will focus most on the SW / controller integration piece.  MIdi performance will not be a focus.  At the same time, I do plan on exceeding existing jitter / latency timings--otherwise, what is the point?  So any sw development will need to go through an abstraction layer, so later on, we can tie calls to very high performance, tightly integrated custom libs.  Up front though, if I do that, I'll likely get nowhere fast.

Notional Schedule

Phase
HW
OS
SW
OEM DSGN
RAP
Nov,  2009
Apr, 2010
Feb, 2010
OEM ORDR
RAP
Jan, 2010
Apr, 2010
Sep, 2010
OEM INTG
RAP
Feb, 2010
Apr, 2010
Nov, 2010
DIY DSGN
RAP
Feb, 2010
Jun, 2010
Apr, 2010
DIY BUILD
RAP
Feb, 2010
Jun, 2010
Feb, 2011
DIY IMPL
RAP
Feb, 2010
Jun, 2010
Jun, 2011
SYS INTG
RAP
Jul, 2010
Jul, 2010
Jul, 2011

2 years might seem like a long time, but really it isn't that long at all, sadly.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Write what you think. If things get spammy, review time.